Sunday, October 26, 2008

*Written by my husband*


First Baptist of Bolivar before we started working


Debris we cleaned out of the church

I recently returned from a trip to Bolivar Peninsula (near Galveston, TX). This trip was an amazing adventure for me on several different levels. First, this trip was a major breakthrough for me. I was always saying I would like to go on a mission trip yet I always had a reason I couldn't go. God compelled me in the words of James 1:22 to "prove myself a doer of the word and not merely a hearer of the word."
The second breakthrough for me was two-fold. I took my son with me and on this trip I saw him become a man, a servant of God, equal with me. The 2nd part of this breakthrough was personal. I did not meet my biological father until I was 21 years old and I didn't have a DAD until I was 10 years old. Personally, I struggled with raising a son because I didn't have a man to raise me in my early years. God broke down the walls between me and my son on this trip. I can now begin to build a new legacy that I can leave for my son.
The last thing that God has done in my life through this trip is to open my eyes to the never ending hurt and devastation that people go through here on earth. We accomplished amazing things while down there, but there's so much more that needs to be done. I will be going back and we could use many more volunteers. If you can swing a hammer or use a shovel, we can use you. If you would like to be a part of a future trip to Bolivar, please contact me or Thirst No More ministries (http://www.thirstnomore.org/). Consider being a doer and not just a hearer and see what God will do in your life!

Some of the destruction





Before and after pictures of the church


1 comment:

Rick said...

I beieive that God will use pepole, places, and things to reach the troubles that are deep inside us. This trip was one of those things.